Search

Arrows Archive

Category

Latest Posts

The First Commencement

In 1945, St. Sebastian's celebrated the inaugural graduating class. While the rest of the student body remained in classes, the seniors enjoyed a week of Commencement festivities, beginning on Monday with a class outing in Scituate, followed by the Senior... Continue Reading →

The First Viewbook

In July 1941, Cardinal William O’Connell purchased the property on Nonantum Hill and just two months later, St. Sebastian’s opened its doors to the School’s first 21 ninth-grade students. The timeline was rather ambitious, with much to be done in... Continue Reading →

The President, the Headmaster and the Bells

By: Ed Kirk '62 Those of us who spent many golden hours of our youth in that cozy stucco building high atop the steep incline of Nonantum Hill will recall that the end of a period of instruction would be... Continue Reading →

Highlights and Memories of the Science Fair

On Sunday afternoon, April 18, 1948, St. Sebastian’s held its first science fair. Parents and friends who were invited to view the exhibits likely saw seniors and juniors fondly carrying their mechanical monsters, electronic dreams and other products of engineering... Continue Reading →

The Origin of JUG

As a deterrent to mischief-makers and those falling behind in their studies, JUG has been quite effective at keeping Arrows in line since St. Sebastian's was founded in the 1940s. “Jugable” offenses included not completing homework assignments, disrupting classes, arriving... Continue Reading →

Canines on Campus

Furry, four-legged friends wandering across Nonantum Hill … sound familiar? During St. Sebastian's earlier decades of existence, it was not an uncommon sight to spot a dog walking around campus, such as good old MacDuff or the always popular Alcibiades,... Continue Reading →

The “Other” Bill Burke

When you think of the name Bill Burke, our beloved headmaster most likely comes to mind. It turns out that decades before, in the Class of 1968, there was another Bill Burke. Bill, a six year survivor, showed himself to... Continue Reading →

From Nonantum Hill to Greendale Ave.

The 1982-1983 academic school year will always be remembered as the year St. Sebastian’s moved from Newton to its current campus in Needham. After 41 years on Nonantum Hill, St. Sebastian’s had a new home on two sides of Greendale... Continue Reading →

The Mysterious & Brilliant Father Sylvester

The following is an article written by John Hickey ’65, editor of the “St. Sebastian's Class of 1965” blog. *** I definitely remember Father Sylvester during our junior year. In the fall of 1963, we heard that President John F.... Continue Reading →

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑